Family matters: Becoming a parent
You often hear new parents say that having a baby is an amazing, life changing experience. Nothing is ever the same again! At a time when every aspect of your life is changing, the last thing you want to think about is money. But while there may not be ways to reduce the financial commitments, there are things you can do to plan and manage them more effectively.
Common questions to consider
Some questions you may wish to consider include:
- What happens to my job while I’m on parental leave?
- Can I afford to be off work for a year?
- Will we be entitled to any government benefits?
- How much do I need to earn to make going back to work worthwhile?
- What happens to my super while I’m on parental leave?
- My insurance premiums are paid through my superannuation. What happens to my insurance cover while I’m on parental leave?
- Do I need a Will?
How we can help
When you are planning a family you may want to consider the financial costs and consequences. Things to think about are how much you’ll need to live and whether you need a savings strategy.
- Develop a plan for your goals and your time frame.
- Set a budget prior to having a family or if you’re off work with a family.
- Develop an investment strategy to accumulate money for long term goals like private education.
- Review, recommend and arrange appropriate insurances.
- Recommend superannuation strategies to help you continue saving for retirement and minimise the total tax you are paying right now.
- Recommend if you need a Will or need to review your Will.
Want to know more.
If you need help with personalised advice on financial planning, be it wealth strategies or protection for you or your family, or a need to discuss your present or future retirement options give us a call today on 03 6343 1007.
Copyright © FinancialPartners Blog All Rights Reserved
Feel free to copy and share this but include the entire article and reference back to this site thanks.
FinancialPartners (Tas) Pty Ltd ABN 26 160 284 739 is an Authorised Representative and Credit Representative of AMP Financial Planning Pty Limited ABN 89 051 208 327 Australian Financial Services Licence 232706 and Australian Credit Licence 232706.
‘This blog post contains information that is general in nature. It does not not take into account the objectives, financial situation or needs of any particular person. Because of this, before acting on any advice, you need to consider your financial situation and needs before making any decisions based on this information.
If you decide to purchase or vary a financial product, your financial adviser, AMP Financial Planning and other companies within the AMP Group may receive fees and other benefits. The fees will be a dollar amount and/ or a percentage of either the premium you pay or the value of your investment. Please contact us if you want more information.’